Saturday, September 22, 2012

Hibernia, Unflagged

This summer, our local gaming group has started to play Sam Mustafa's Seven Years War game Maurice. Despite some issues I have with the rules, I remain charmed by its use of cards to randomize events, and most importantly by the little 6mm dudes we're all using. I've been slowly chopping away at my own pile of wannabe Spaniards and here's my first effort.


The Hibernia Regiment is one of several regiments of Irish mercenary soldiers in Catholic European service. The Marquis of Castille la Vieja has hired these foreigners to stiffen the mass of conscripted recruits that make up the bulk of his infantry.


Each unit is represented by two 6x3cm bases, a holdover from an older rules set which allows for each base to be a little diorama in 6mm.


I've added a mounted Regimental officer to one base, an idea I borrowed shamelessly from one of my clubmates.


As the bases are textured in wood filler, it was easy to press a die into one corner to make a little recess, so I can track the unit's disruptions right on the base.

To be honest I'm not terribly pleased with the results, given the work it's taken so far. But it's my first efforts in this scale in 20 years - hopefully subsequent units will look a little nicer.

2 comments:

  1. I really like them! I think they have mass appeal ;) I really like your photography as well, it really shows the quality of the basing (which is a good thing). Such a tough scale to paint as well, I struggle with 10mm :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet! The little die as a disruption marker is a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete